Of course, the first step when anyone comes to Dog Friendship with help for behaviour modification training is to ensure they have visited their veterinarian to check for any medical cause or contribution to their dog's behaviour.
We offer a variety of services to veterinarians and their staff.
- Veterinarians also refer directly to us - for everything from phobias to making dogs safer for their vet techs to work with. We will gladly provide reports on your clients progress to you, with their permission.
- Veterinarians are welcome to call us directly for a consultation on dogs in their practice.
- We also offer veterinarians the option of arranging behaviour consultations billed through their own systems and done by our expert behaviour consultant in house if desired.
- We are happy to run your puppy program onsite.
- We also offer in-house training sessions for staff and new practitioners on Fear Free techniques.
How do I arrange a client referral for a behaviour issue?
To refer a client to us you can use this referral form - and we welcome you to include a brief history of your patient outlining any areas you believe to be significant contributing factors to the presenting problem. You are also welcome to call our lead trainer directly - Helen Prinold - in Guelph at 226-500-3647.
We will then contact the client to discuss further information about our behaviour training service and assist them in making a booking to see one of our Behaviour Training Consultants. The client will be seen at our training hall in Guelph or (preferably) at their home. The consultation is likely to last around 1.5 hours during which time we will assess the problem, discuss our findings with the owners and work with the client to make the most suitable recommendations. The client will then be sent a typed report outlining details of our assessment and recommendations. If the client agrees (and signs our consent form) you can also receive a one-page summary of the case (or the full assessment if you wish). You are both then welcome to contact the Behaviour Training Consultant to discuss any queries, questions and / or progress.
Consultations cost $60.00 (plus HST). There may be additional charges for travel if the consultation is undertaken at the clients home or away from our training hall in central Guelph. Some insurance companies will cover behaviour training and so we suggest that clients check their policies to see if their dogs are covered for behaviour consultations.
If you would like to sit in on the consultation with your client you are more than welcome. If you state this clearly at the time of the referral our behaviour training consultants would be more than happy for you to join them if the client does not have any objections. If you wish to visit our training hall or have any questions at all please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for considering us for your behaviour training referrals.